Thursday, August 28, 2008

Lessons

Things I've learned, and relearned, this week:

  1. I shouldn't whine about people being sick. It will only get worse.
  2. Six people can have stomach issues at the same time. Trust me.
  3. Five year old girls love Kindergarten. Elise has come home every day with a new story to tell. Her favorite part has been recess, of course. She sits at the Green Office (table), and loves carpooling with her friends.
  4. My older kids are old enough to load the dishwasher. This may seem really late in Hailey's life to be realizing it, I know. The older three have been unloading it for quite awhile, it was just always a fight whenever I suggested they load it. Greg showed them how to do it and I am so happy!
  5. Sometimes the Lord gives us more than we can handle on our own. It's then that we have to have faith that He will give us the strength to carry our burdens.
  6. We eat a lot of food. Last night I was out of ideas for dinner and made eggs, bacon and toast. I cooked an entire package of bacon and toasted half a loaf of bread. We scrambled six eggs, hard boiled six and used three for an omelet for Greg. That's 15 eggs in one meal! And if there had been more, the boys would have eaten them! You may be saying, "Well, there are 7 of you." Yes, there are, and I've always known that; but it was never more apparent that our grocery bill will do nothing but increase than it was last night.
  7. Be sure to rinse a pan that you've cooked bacon in really well before you put it in the dishwasher. Otherwise everything comes out coated in lovely black specks.
  8. On average I wash 343 articles of clothing a week. This is including socks, underwear, pj's etc. And that's not including towels, sheets, et al. Granted, some days Hailey's clothes aren't dirty, and Greg sends his shirts to the cleaners. But the little ones get everything dirty and I do too. Count how many individual pieces your family goes through, it'll shock you.
  9. Having a decent night's sleep can work wonders on your attitude.
  10. I am a very blessed woman that has an amazing husband, fantastic kids and a great group of friends.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

It sounds like you are surviving over there (or maybe just keeping afloat). Looks like you've (re)learned a lot this week. Thanks for sharing your insight.

Cranberryfries said...

Elise is so beautiful all ready for school! Kindergarten is so much fun!

I hope you and your family are feeling better! The stomach bugs are one of the worsts.

I'm a total list girl so I'm diggin your list!

Chippy said...

I love you so much!! Your family is great. I love the picture of Elise. Your kids just get cuter each day. I can honestly say I have the cutest nieces and nephews out there :) Glad your family is feeling better!!

Kayla said...

I love the laundry count! I hate laundry and so I'm impressed that you can stay on top of doing it for 7 of you! Way to go! I hope you're all feeling better!