Thursday, August 7, 2008

The Waterfront, ferryboats and Forks

Before I add another day to my trip, I feel I have some confessing to do. You may have noticed that I had a 'Breaking Dawn' countdown on the blog and you might remember I posted about going to see Stephenie Meyer at a signing when she was in town. Well, the whole reason for our trip to Washington was to see Forks, the town in her Twilight books. Yes, I'm a fan girl. There, I've said it. I'm out of the closet, as Michelle kept saying on the trip. Now, back to the story....

The next morning we headed down to the waterfront before taking the ferry. We shopped at Pirate's Plunder and explored Ye Old Curiosity Shop (we all had to see what Christie was talking about). We ate lunch at Ivar's, where I had awesome fish 'n chips and clam chowder. Jenni got crazy with the seagulls. We were accosted by pirates, again. This time one even put his tongue in Debbie's ear! (She put germ killer in it to make sure he didn't give her any communicable diseases.)


I was so happy that it was a gorgeous, sunny day. I can't believe how homesick it made me to be there. I had so many fun memories of me and my high school friends come flooding back as I spent those two days there. But now I have even more memories with new friends to add to my love of Seattle. After the pirates, we then took the 1 pm ferry to Bainbridge Island. I love the view of the skyline as you pull away. Can you tell it was windy?






Once we got to the island we headed north to Port Angeles. It was such a beautiful drive. I am so glad I burned my playlists onto cd's, it added to the whole experience. We saw some very funny street signs and were more than happy to see signs that said we were getting closer to Forks. Lake Cresent was beyond beautiful as we wound our way around it and the thought of driving 100 mph made me cringe.
We finally arrived in Forks and Emily, Rachel, Kayla, Michelle and I went to check into our hotel. Because of a mix up, we had to stay at, what Emily dubbed 'Grandma Forks' House of Horror' for one night. Yeah, it was that bad. I'm kicking myself for not taking a picture of the sign next to the toilet that told us to keep flushing if it didn't drain the first time! Can you believe it?
It did have a surprise bonus: after checking in, we pulled around to get to our room, and found ourselves staring at the front of Forks High School. The scream we let out was surely heard 3 block away! So as soon as we dumped our bags, we had to take lots of pictures. Michelle, Emily and I had to show that it even had mossy trees.



As we drove to dinner at Danylle and Christie's gorgeous rental cabin, Kayla uttered the now famous phrase, "Can we bring anything, like... meat?" and had us all rolling. I have to say, half of the fun I had on the entire trip was just driving with these fun ladies. After enjoying the awesome house and it's views and having dinner with the rest of our group, we headed down the street to meet several of our online friends for the first time. They had come from all over the country, and it was so fun to finally put names with faces.





That night we slept just like you'd think we would at Grandma Forks' house. We were wishing we had slept at Danylle and Christie's the whole night.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ok, who's idea was it for Debbie to take a picture alone with those nasty pirates. It's a wonder she only got a wet willy. That could have been so much worse.
I too agree that the best times were driving in the car being silly and bonding.

Dutley said...

I agree, if and when we go on another trip we all stay in the same place. No dividing up!