Thursday, October 23, 2008

Pictures and Mom's Musings



Here are some pictures of Hailey opening her presents. She has a weird look on her face with the CD, but that is her acting all shocked and awed for the camera. I don't know where she gets the dramatic stuff from. Isn't her sign cool?

Kayla and Christie asked how I was feeling about her being in Young Women's now. (It's the youth organization for 12-18 year girls at church.) I guess I could give you the quick "I'm not old enough to have a daughter in YW!", but I've been trying to put into words how I'm feeling about her growing up, actually. In some ways it feels like yesterday they first placed her in my arms. But then again, I was reading through my journal entries from when I was pregnant with her, and it was definitely a long time ago. Motherhood was such an abstract thing back then. I had no idea what the real deal would be like.
I am excited for all of the fun things she will do in the next six years. Girls Camp, Youth Conference, all of the fun activities. YW is such an inspired program and she is going to learn so many incredible things. But this also means that I only have six years left with her. THAT completely freaks me out. I'm not even close to being the mom I want to be for her, and I haven't taught her nearly enough. I feel like time is slipping away from me. I know it's not possible to be the perfect mom, but I want to be the best I can. She deserves it; they all do. I pray each day that I can be a good example to her, and though I make a lot of mistakes, I have to have faith that it will be enough. Otherwise I'd sit and go crazy with worry. She is a sensitive soul and I mess up a lot. Thank goodness she will have a lot of youth leaders to help her along the way!
Bet you weren't expecting that when you asked, huh?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

No, I totally get where you're coming from. My first "old" moment came when Nate turned 8 & got baptized. I would imagine YW is much the same.

Jenni Elyse said...

It's looks like she had so much fun! I'm so glad. And, her sign looks awesome!