-We've been here in St George for six months now, I can hardly believe it. It feels more like home than I ever thought it would. I've gotten used to the red mountains instead of green ones. That's not to say that I prefer the red, I've just grown accustomed to the lack of greenery around here. It really is pretty in it's own way. How can you not be blown away when you drive through Zions Park? (I didn't take this picture.) It's finally started to cool down, and it's been an awesome 80 degrees the last few days.

-It's Conference weekend (when we get to listen to our Prophet and church leaders) and it's always a challenge to keep the little ones from not going crazy. This year I brought the little table into the family room and had coloring for the kids to do, along with some yummy treats if they'd be quiet so we could listen. It lasted for about half an hour. Thank goodness for TiVo.
-I found this fantastic recipe for Cafe Rio sweet pork, and it's very close to the real thing. (Cafe Rio is an awesome mexican restaurant that charges way too much for their food. Though it's worth it.) I also found the salad dressing, and it's the best I've tried so far. Only make these if you're prepared to have your husband say 'This is freaking awesome!' at least a dozen times during dinner. It makes a lot of pork, so you'll need to freeze some. I've used it for burritos, salads and quesadillas.
Cafe Rio sweet pork
Marinade a pork roast in a can of Coke overnight. (Do not use diet.)
Put in crock pot with Coke and cook on low for 8 hours. Drain off any liquid after cooking.
Shred pork and add:
1 can enchilada sauce
2 cloves minced garlic
3/4 small can diced chiles (you can add the whole thing, we just don't like chilies that much.)
1 cup brown sugar
http://realmomkitchen.blogspot.com/2008/05/lauras-version-of-cafe-rio-sweet-pork.html
8 oz salsa verde
2 med garlic cloves
3/4 cup mayo
3/4 cup sour cream
1/4 cup fresh cilantro
fresh lime to taste (I used about 1/4 of one)
Cafe Rio sweet pork
Marinade a pork roast in a can of Coke overnight. (Do not use diet.)
Put in crock pot with Coke and cook on low for 8 hours. Drain off any liquid after cooking.
Shred pork and add:
1 can enchilada sauce
2 cloves minced garlic
3/4 small can diced chiles (you can add the whole thing, we just don't like chilies that much.)
1 cup brown sugar
http://realmomkitchen.blogspot.com/2008/05/lauras-version-of-cafe-rio-sweet-pork.html
Cafe Rio House Salad Dressing
1 pkg Hidden Valley ranch dressing mix 8 oz salsa verde
2 med garlic cloves
3/4 cup mayo
3/4 cup sour cream
1/4 cup fresh cilantro
fresh lime to taste (I used about 1/4 of one)
Mix in blender. Needs to chill for several hours before serving. It's thick, so you can thin it with buttermilk if you want, but we like it like this.
-Confession: There are times I want to sell my kids. Does that make me a bad Mom?
-Confession: There are times I want to sell my kids. Does that make me a bad Mom?

2 comments:
No it doesn't make you a bad mom. Just normal :) Thanks for the recipe. I am really excited to try the pork. You know how much I love it and how I have to have Cafe Rio EVERY time I visit you. Love you and miss you!!! ...Oh and I am so ready to have this baby. Just thought I would let you know ;)
a) I'm SOOO glad when you post. I love 'hearing' from you!
b) I agree with the yummy pork recipe however whomever it was that made it for our YW Stake meeting last month missed a step, it tasted so weird.
c) Tarls been out of town for a few weeks. I keep thinking of you and how Greg kept doing all that driving. How did you survive? Because I'm not! :) Yesterday, I TOTALLY wanted to sell my kids
Post a Comment