Well, even though I asked her not to, Hailey went ahead and turned 13 last Saturday. What's a mom to do? Throw her a surprise 13th birthday party, I guess! Since we went to see the Jonas Brothers in concert in August, it was understood that she wouldn't be having a party or presents this year. She was OK with that, and she knew that was the deal when we bought the tickets. But as her b-day grew closer, I started feeling bad. This is 1-3. A big one. So Elise suggested on the 13th that we throw her a surprise party and it was chaos from that moment on.
So the day had been pretty boring for Hailey. She didn't complain, but I know she was going a little crazy. Greg took her to get a treat at 4 pm, and I then went crazy trying to get everything decorated before her friends arrived at 5:30 pm. The plan was for me to stand near the garage door and when she walked in I'd say "Hi hon!", and then they'd jump out. Her friends were so cute, totally excited to be surprising her. She walked in the door and she says she saw the streamers I'd hung up and thought "Oh that's nice." And then everyone jumped out, and she screamed "AHHH!" and ran and hugged one of the girls. It was so fun to see her totally surprised. Here's right afterwards, I forgot to have the camera out when she first got there:

l to r (back): Kenzie, Miranda, Raquel,Becca
front: Abby (her cousin), Hailey
The winners were Kenzie (wearability), Miranda (creativity) and Abby (overall). They wanted to pick Hailey for wearability, but since it was her party, they decided not to.
After this we ate eclair squares and it was time to go home. I'm glad Hailey has found a nice group of girls to hang out with here. She misses her friends in Lehi so much, but is getting more and more acclamated to life down south.
It was fun to surprise her with this party, and she swears she had no idea. Later that night she started piecing clues together saying, "So when you told me you were delivering stuff for scouts, was that when you took the invitations around?" etc. And then we laughed at how many times the secret was almost blown.
I am so lucky to be her mom, and I hope this year brings her great joy. She brings it to me each day, just by being herself. Thanks Hailey, for being such an amazing daughter.
l to r (back): Kenzie, Miranda, Raquel,Becca
front: Abby (her cousin), Hailey
I explained to her what we were doing and she was so excited. Everyone worked on their clothes while we had the Jonas Brothers playing, of course, and while we let the hot glue dry we had dinner. Since she didn't know about the party, she had picked Yoshida chicken and rice for dinner. Not wanting to tell her that really isn't party food, and she's not a big fan of pizza, we went ahead and made a big batch.
After dinner we opened presents. Her friends said it was easy to buy for her, with her JoBros obsession. She scored!
Abby checking out the fabric; hot gluing their clothes
After dinner we opened presents. Her friends said it was easy to buy for her, with her JoBros obsession. She scored!
Miranda's cute wrapping paper; Jonas flip flops
Two Jonas bags! How is she going to choose???
She also got a gift certificate for a manicure, some yummy popcorn and soda and a cute necklace Abby made for her. After presents, it was time for the fashion show. The girls got on their clothes, and accessorized with hats, shoes and bags. I asked my neighbor Sherie to come be one of our celebrity judges, and Greg had to ham it up as the other judge, of course.
She also got a gift certificate for a manicure, some yummy popcorn and soda and a cute necklace Abby made for her. After presents, it was time for the fashion show. The girls got on their clothes, and accessorized with hats, shoes and bags. I asked my neighbor Sherie to come be one of our celebrity judges, and Greg had to ham it up as the other judge, of course.
He was in full-on 'designer' mode, if you know what I mean. He was hilarious! Each of the girls came down the runway and modeled their outfits, and they then came out together. Greg asked each of them about their outfits, what their motivations were, and basically just made them laugh. We had three categories for prizes: wearability, creativity and overall look.
Miranda and Becca
The winners were Kenzie (wearability), Miranda (creativity) and Abby (overall). They wanted to pick Hailey for wearability, but since it was her party, they decided not to.
After this we ate eclair squares and it was time to go home. I'm glad Hailey has found a nice group of girls to hang out with here. She misses her friends in Lehi so much, but is getting more and more acclamated to life down south.
It was fun to surprise her with this party, and she swears she had no idea. Later that night she started piecing clues together saying, "So when you told me you were delivering stuff for scouts, was that when you took the invitations around?" etc. And then we laughed at how many times the secret was almost blown.
I am so lucky to be her mom, and I hope this year brings her great joy. She brings it to me each day, just by being herself. Thanks Hailey, for being such an amazing daughter.


6 comments:
Wow! What an awesome party idea! It looks like they had tons of fun! You did an awesome job!
OMG that party was so FAB! How did you ever come up with that great idea. I totally love it and the outfits the girls came up with. Fantastic! Nice work mom and happy birthday Hailey. Welcome to the teenage years. It's only just beginning. I hope everyone survives it well.
How fun! That had to be a great birthday for her! I'm glad it was such a big hit!
Thanks, ladies. I thought of the idea after we'd watched an episode of PR and Hailey couldn't stop talking about it. The pretty puff balls hanging from the ceiling are my neighbor's, I can't take credit for those.
Ok I know this might sound weird but it's sincere I promise. This post totally made me cry. What a sweet mom you are!! Fabulous ideas, theme, party, getting guest judges, all of it. I'm sure Hailey had a fabulous birthday and will remember it forever.
so cute Kim. You are so cool
Post a Comment