Monday, December 1, 2008

Temples and Tombs


Hailey recently finished an extensive study of Egyptian history and culture. She did an in-depth report on mummification, and created a sarcophagus to go along with it, complete with a toilet paper wrapped Barbie. They also made death masks, as well as wrote their names in hieroglyphics.

They concluded the unit with a fun night called 'Temples and Tombs'. All of the student's projects were on display, and each of them dressed up in Egyptian costumes. (Luckily for me I have a neighbor that is an amazing seamstress, and she let Hailey borrow her daughter's costume.) They then presented their program, which consisted of each class singing a different song about Egypt and it's culture, and Hailey even had a speaking part. There are over 120 kids in 6th grade, and it was fun to see so many kids that Hailey has grown up with. These are her good friends Caitlin, Lisa and Sydney. She worked very hard on her report and projects, and I am so proud of her.



2 comments:

Cranberryfries said...

Way to go Hailey! She looks so pretty in that costume. What a fun project to work on. I gotta admit I probably don't know as much as they do about Egypt. Maybe I should brush up. :)

Kayla said...

That looks like so much fun! I LOVED studying Egypt in 6th grade! I had to do a major project too. So rather than make a sugar cube pyramid like everyone else, I wrote a newspaper called the Tutankhuman Times. It was really fun! Hailey looks awesome in that costume!