Before I had children, I didn't believe in sleep-deprivation. Now that I have been walking around with it for over 11 years, I tend to agree that it's real. Why, oh why, is it so hard to get a night of uninterrupted sleep? You'd think that children would be so warn out from playing that they'd pass out and nothing could wake them. And yet, I haven't had a night without being woken up by one of them in....I can't even remember! (Except for my blissful weekend in Vegas, of course. But then I was sleeping on a board instead of my nice pillow top mattress, so it was a trade-off.) It's so sad that as I am making breakfast, I'm trying to figure out when my schedule will let me take a nap that day.
Have you ever seen those Dateline investigations where the kids sleep through the fire alarm? Yeah, that wouldn't be one of my kids. Each night it's one thing or another. One of them needs a drink, or is hungry, or just thinks it's time to be up. And since Hailey is the only one with her own room (and is the only one that doesn't wake me up), I have to shush them up before they wake the sibling in the room. Because then all hell breaks loose. I am not very nice when I'm tired. It's amazing how much anger you can convey in a loud whisper. I'm sure I don't help things when I say "Shhhh!", with all the sympathy of a jail warden. When they have a bad dream or are sick, I couldn't be nicer in getting them what they need or helping them not be scared. It's the waking up and refusing to go back to sleep when there's nothing wrong that I freak out about. Am I alone in this?
As I lay in bed at 4:30 this morning, knowing I only had 70 minutes until the baby would wake up for the day, I longed for the time when I will close my eyes at 11 pm, and don't open them again until 6:30 am. Everyone says I will miss these times, once the kids are older and all in school. I can guarantee that nighttime will not be one of those times.
ETA: I should explain that I don't get mad at the baby when she wakes up. Frustrated, yes, but it's not like I get mad at her. It's the kids in the 7-3 year old range that get to me. :)
Friday, May 23, 2008
Sleep, how I miss thee
Posted by Greg and Kimberly ... at 1:45 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
I am glad to know I am not the only one who is a meamy when I get woken up. Not always but oh sometimes. When I read that you get up at 5 I wanted to cry for you. I am so sorry Kimberly. I hope you can get a nap real soon,
Kim I am so with you! I am not nice at night either. Sometimes the next day I think I am such a nut job! I dream of those days with you! SOme day
I always wonder how my mood would be different if I could just get a full night sleeps. It's hard when the kids tag team ya though. I feel for you. I hope you're able to get some sleep. :)
Post a Comment