
I was sad to hear of the passing of President Gordon B. Hinckley last night, at the age of 97. (For those of you not of our faith, he was our Prophet. I don't like making comparisons to other religions, but we revered him as the Catholics revere the Pope.) He was an amazing man, to say the least. He was so loving and kind. And what a wit he possessed! I don't think I've ever heard him speak without laughing at some point. I had the privilege of meeting him while I was attending BYU-Hawaii in 1993.
My friends Tim and Josh came walking into the cafeteria one night, so excited. They had been coming to dinner and noticed an older couple in front of them. As they went to pass them, the man turned to Josh and noticed his Atlanta Falcons hat. He said "The Falcons aren't having a good season, are they?" He and Tim looked down and it was President Hinckley! They were so surprised, not only to see him, but that he knew about the Falcons dismal season! :)
My roommate Amy and I and some other friends decided to wait outside the private dining room he and his wife were in, thinking we might get a glimpse of him. After about an hour they came out. He took the time to shake our hands and speak to us for a moment. I will never forget how soft his hands were and his gentle smile. It truly was an awe-inspiring moment for me. I knew I had shaken the hand of a man of God and I have cherished that memory ever since.
I am sad because I will miss hearing his inspired words, but that is a selfish reason. His wife of 67 years, Marjorie, passed away in 2004, and he often spoke of how much he missed her. I know they are so happy to be together again. He was beloved by millions and I am proud to say that I am one of them.
Monday, January 28, 2008
President Hinckley
Posted by Greg and Kimberly ... at 1:49 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comments:
Kimberly-
I totally forgot about meeting him. Thank you so much for posting that wonderful story about him. It brought back some amazing memories of you and our time together in Hawaii and of course of our beloved prophet. I will call you this weekend. I have had a lot going on this week. Hope you guys are well....we leave for Hawaii 4 weeks from tomorrow. AHHH can't wait!!!!!
Post a Comment