Monday, July 28, 2008

Norman Douglas Price, my Grandpa

I was out of town Wednesday am-Sunday pm (I'll post about that next). When I landed, I turned on my phone and saw a message from Kylee. I was afraid of what it was, and I was right. My grandpa, Poppy Cream, as we called him, had passed away at 5:30pm. I was sitting on a plane full of strangers and couldn't stop the tears from flowing.
He was called Poppy Cream for a very special reason. Starting when I was one year old, every Tuesday he would come and take me down the street for ice cream. Just he and I, our own little date. So when I finally started talking, that's what I called him, Poppy Cream. He was a quiet man, with a gravely voice. He always had a bushy mustache and I loved it on him. He was an amazing photographer, and being the first grandchild, I was his favorite subject. He was kind and gentle and loving.

I was lucky enough to see him last February, when I was pregnant with Rachel. He lived in Apple Valley, California, so we stopped and saw him on our way home from Disneyland. He was much older and more fragile than I had ever remembered him. He had had heart problems since I was very young, but he had battled cancer the last year. He was doing well, but the last few months were harder. He took a turn for the worse this last week. My mom flew down to be with him on Thursday. I thought I had a few more days, to get home from my trip and make that phone call. I never got to talk to him, to say a final good-bye. I know he knew how much I loved him, though. He will be missed more than I can say.

5 comments:

Jenni Elyse said...

Kimberly, I wish you and your family comfort and peach during this time of mourning. My prayers are with you and your family.

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry. Wrap your arms around yourself and squeeze. That's a great big hug from me.

Brooke said...

Kimberly-I am sorry. My prayers are with you and your family. He looks to have lived a great life and you were blessed to have him.

Amy said...

Kibim- I am sorry to hear about your Grandpa. We will keep your family in our prayers.

Cranberryfries said...

Kimberly what a sweet post about your grandpa! Hugs from me too!